If you land up in UBL , you never will leave the city without tasting some of the exotic dishes that you’ll savour till you die! These are some of the foods worth dying for!
Some of the must-try dishes!
- Dharwad Pedha – Sweet delicacy unique to the state of Karnataka, India. It derives its name from the city of Dharwad in Karnataka. If you are in town, hit the nearest Thakur’s and Mishra’s to savour some of these!
- Famous Jolada Rotti Oota – Jolada rotti is an unleavened Indian bread made out of jowar, originating from North Karnataka. It is coarser than a roti. It can be either soft or hard in texture, compared to a khakhra or cracker with respect to hardness. The combination of Ennegai ( Spicy Brinjal Curry ) with Jolada Rotti is a match made in heaven!
- Girmit – Girmit is a special snack variety of North Karnataka region. It looks bit similar to churumuri, but the ingredients used here are totally different. For Girmit, split peas (called as Puttani in Kannada) powder gives a unique taste to this snack.
Hubballi (UBL) or the Flowering Creeper has a rich history. A commercial hub during the Vijayanagara Empire, the modern city of Hubballi was developed by trader Basappa Shettar. The British under its regime started the first Railway Workshop in the year 1880.
Formed in the Year 2003, UBL was chosen as the HQ for SWR! South Western Railway is a vast network of railways where EMDs rule!
Presently home to 200+ EMD locomotives , you will go back with those whining sounds ringing in your ears. It is also a major hub for North Karnataka.
Some of the trains connecting the North India traverse through UBL.
What’s on Offer?
- EMD Heartland – A premier DLS homing 200+ locos, a simulator and a carriage workshop ( subject to approval from the authorities ) .
- Lip Smacking North Karnataka Delicacies, including the legendary Dharwad Peda and Mandakki!
- Loads of Places of Interest – Unkal Lake, Nrupatunga Hill, Glass House, Navagraha Jain Temple, Goa (just 4 hours away) and Dandeli, home to River Rafting about two Hours away! 😉
Connectivity & Accommodation
- Well connected to Major Metros , UBL has trains plying to SBC, Pune, NZM, CSTM , MAS etc.
- Lots of hotels for accommodation to suit all budgets.
- And its just 4 hours to Dudhsagar.
So sit back have an EMDized experience!
Hubballi is the heartland of EMD’s! So close to seeing a pentaheader rolling down the ghats! A place to taste some lip-smacking North Karnataka Dishes! A place with loads of history!
Hubballi became the first ever shed in India to house new EMD locomotives. Their working in the Braghanza ghats has been well documented in the recent past.